At the moment, persons with a valid Residence Status in Japan are eligible to re-enter the country. That being said, persons entering from overseas are bound to honor the following in order to be permitted re-entry. It must be noted, however, that criteria for entry into Japan, border restrictions and so on are different for citizens of each country/region and are changing on a daily basis (whether or not your country/region has been recognized to have community transmission of coronavirus variants of concern or domestic confirmation of new variants, etc.). Always make sure to check the most up-to-date information on the homepage of your local Japanese diplomatic mission.
[About Border Restrictions]
Ministry of Foreign Affairs: https://www.mofa.go.jp/ca/fna/page4e_001053.html#section2
[Entry Procedures: Key Points]
*the following is subject to change at the discretion of the Government of Japan.
- Submit a Pledge Form to the health inspector upon entering the country (You do not need to apply through the university to complete this Pledge Form)
- Take your temperature daily during the 14 days prior to your travel to Japan (further, if any irregularities are registered you must cancel your travel plans)
- Acquire a Covid-19 negative test result from a test taken within 72 hours of the scheduled departure time of your flight into Japan
- Download LINE and add the designated health system account to your friend list, then enter your health status information into the system each day, for the first 14 days after your arrival in Japan
- Download the Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare’s Covid-19 contact tracing app, a register an account, and leave the app running for the first 14 days after your arrival in Japan
- Record your GPA location data via a map app for the first 14 days after your arrival in Japan
- Use of public transit in Japan is forbidden during the first 14 days after your arrival in Japan
- For the first 14 days after your arrival in Japan you must reside at your home or self-isolation stay hotel, monitor your health status, and report your health status as required, such as via the LINE app described above
After October 1, 2021, with a valid vaccination certificate, you can shorten your quarantine period of 14 days at home or in the place you’re staying. Also, with a valid vaccination certificate, you are exempt from the 3-day stay at the government-designated accommodation and the test on the 3rd day after entering Japan. Please be sure to fully confirm the details of the conditions, etc., for whether or not the waiting period will be shortened, with the quarantine officer or immigration inspector at the airport upon entry yourself.
In order to shorten a part of the waiting period of 14 days after entering Japan, it is necessary to undergo a self-inspection after 10 days after entering Japan and report a negative result to the Ministry of Health, Labor and Welfare (MHLW, Immigration Health Confirmation Center).
However, we strongly recommend that you continue to wait at the same place for 14 days as before, considering the following: you have to pay for the self-inspection, you are NOT allowed to use public transportation to get to the self-inspection, it is not always you get the test results immediately after the inspection, the later you submit the test results, the later you will receive an e-mail from the MHLW to shorten your stay. In addition, there is a high possibility that you will have to pay a cancellation fee when you cancel your hotel room after the shortened permission is granted. Therefore, the university strongly recommends that you stay in the same place for 14 days as before.
For details, refer to the website of the Ministry of Health, Labor and Welfare below.
Shortening or exempting quarantine period for arrivals who have a valid vaccination certificate
Those who enter or return from a designated country / region that is on standby for 6 or 10 days at an accommodation facility secured by the quarantine station are not subject to this measure, so please refer to the website of the Ministry of Health, Labor and Welfare below. please.
Ministry of Health, Labor and Welfare website: Designated countries / regions that are waiting for 3 days, 6 days, or 10 days at accommodations secured by the quarantine station