In the event that your period of stay or your re-entry/special re-entry permit expire, you must complete the following steps:
- Apply for and acquire a Certificate of Eligibility (COE) from the Japanese Immigration Bureau.
- Apply for and acquire a visa at the nearest Japanese Diplomatic Office.
- Come to Japan
If you are entering Japan on a new visa/status of residence, as of March 24, 2021, under the immigration restrictions put in place by the Japanese government due to the ongoing COVID-19 situation, even if you have completed steps 1. and 2. above, you are unable to 3. come to Japan
However, the Japanese government (Ministry of Justice) announced that those whose period of stay or re-entry/special re-entry permit expired due to the unavoidable circumstances caused by COVID-19, will be recognized as having “special circumstances” and will be allowed to enter Japan.
If you fall under these “special circumstances,” you can enter Japan after completing steps 1 to 3 above.
To find out whether you fall under these “special circumstances,” please confirm on your own on the Ministry of Justice’s homepage or at the nearest Japanese embassy. If you do fall under these “special circumstances,” please be sure to thoroughly confirm the necessary procedures at the nearest Japanese embassy.
If you fall under these “special circumstances,” you can submit your request by following procedures.
- Access this web form.
- Select “ 4. その他 (問合せ/連絡) Others (Inquiry/Contact)” from the list showed when you put your cursor on the first item “行いたい手続き Choose a procedure that you wish to proceed”.
- Enter each item and describe your situation.
- Attach your photo of both sides of your residence card.
Furthermore, if you do fall under these “special circumstances,” when applying for a visa at the embassy, you do NOT need a “written pledge” issued by the university. For more information on the procedure for entering Japan, please read “What are the procedures for re-entry into Japan right now? (updated 2021.3.8)”.